- How much will I earn?
Employers by law are to pay at least the National Minimum Wage for apprentices. After an apprentice has completed 12 months of training, they are eligible for the National Minimum Wage for all workers within their age group. We recommend you check out Gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates for the most up to date information regarding wages.
- Can I do an apprenticeship if I’m already employed?
Absolutely, though it is up to the discretion of your employer as they will be funding your apprenticeship. Speak to them about your interest and hopefully we’ll be reading your application soon!
- Will I be offered a permanent position with my employer on completion of my apprenticeship?
This is the aim for all of our apprentices, but unfortunately it is down to each individual employer. Just do your best to work hard, be efficient and well-behaved and you will have a bright future ahead of you
- If I have any issues regarding my apprenticeship or employer, who do I speak to first?
HWGTA are always here for support and guidance. On commencing your apprenticeship, you will be assigned a monitoring officer who will visit you in the workplace and be there to aid you through your apprenticeship. They will be your first point of contact should you have any problems or worries.
- Do you have to go on residential to complete your apprenticeship?
We encourage all of our apprentices to attend the week, as it can have great benefits and be a real confidence booster. We do understand if you feel unsettled about going and we can discuss other options.
- Am I entitled to holidays as an apprentice?
Of course, as with “permanent” employees you will be entitled to holidays depending on your working hours. This is something that will be discussed with you when starting in your new workplace.
- What time of the year can I start an apprenticeship?
You can apply for a Commerce apprenticeship (Business Administration/ Customer Service) any time of the year, as we are often working on behalf of local employers and helping them to find their next apprentice. As soon as you are successful at interview with an employer, your apprenticeship can commence.
Accountancy and Engineering apprenticeships are slightly different however, with the programmes being closely tied to the academic year - applications are accepted throughout the year with programmes starting in September.
- How long does an apprenticeship take to complete?
- Level 2 Commerce apprenticeships take 13-15 months to complete.
- Level 3 Commerce apprenticeships take 15-18 months to complete.
- Level 2 Accountancy apprenticeships take 12-14 Months to complete.
- Level 3 Accountancy apprenticeships take 15 - 18 Months to complete.
- Level 4 Accountancy apprenticeships take 15 - 20 Months to complete.
- Engineering apprenticeships last 2-4 years, with the first year taking place within one of the HWGTA training centres.
- Can I apply if I already have A Levels and/or a Degree?
Certainly, we accept applicants with a variety of academic backgrounds.