Introduction to Turning
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at personnel with no previous machining training and for those tasked with performing basic machining operations on a Centre Lathe, or candidates such as technicians, designers & supervisors wishing to gain an appreciation in the subject as outlined in the course programme below.
Do they need previous experience or qualifications to attend?
It would be an advantage if all candidates had previous experience with the use of reading and care of verniers, micrometres, DTI’s and other associated measuring equipment.
- Lathe safety using conventional Centre Lathe.
- Cutting tools, setting and positioning.
- Work holding methods.
- Practice in facing to centre.
- Practice in turning external diameters and shoulders.
- Practice in boring internal diameters and shoulders.
- Use of appropriate measuring equipment as required.
This is a practical based course, carrying out exercises on real machinery, therefore the delegates are required to wear safety boots.
To allow the candidate to safely and confidently operate the machines noted above, to perform the various tasks as outlined in the overview.
The course is “hands on” and totally workshop based, being observed at all times by the course tutor to ensure safe working and competence improvement with practice.