First Aid at Work Requalification (2 day)
Learners must repeat the qualification before their FAW certificate expires in order to remain qualified to provide First Aid. If not, the learner can still access the shortened course for up to one calendar month after the certificate expires however during this period, learners are not qualified to provide First Aid.
The Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 places on employers a responsibility for ensuring that their employees are fully protected in case of illness or injury by an adequate number of First Aiders. The certificate is valid for three years.
The course is aimed at delegates that have already gained a valid first aid certificate, that is about to expire. A copy of your current certificate will need to be provided.
The certificate is valid for three years
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to understand the role of the first aider including reference to:
- The importance of preventing cross infection
- The need for recording incidents and actions
- Use of available equipment assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and breathing normally. Use of recovery position
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and not breathing normally. Use of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and an automated external defibrillator
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- Administer first aid to a casualty with catastrophic bleeding, the use of haemostatic dressings and tourniquets
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- Provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- Chest injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Eye injuries
- Sudden poisoning
- Anaphylactic shock
- Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes)