Feedback and Appraisals
The process of giving feedback both at a calendared review and as an ongoing practice is fraught with dangers but this course teaches how to address both positive and negative feedback in a bold, caring and constructive way. Genuinely skilful feedback does not avoid difficult issues but rather tackles the issues honestly whilst providing a supportive framework.
Content of the course includes;
- Defining what an appraisal is and what it seeks to do
- The core components of an appraisal
- What ‘added value’ can come from appraisals
- The pro’s and con’s of appraisals
- The reasons why we apprise people and who needs what: staff, manager, HR, company, other
- Motivation through appraisals
- The appraisals process – stages
- What feeds in and out of the appraisals process
- The appraiser’s toolbox: communication, listening, effective questioning, feedback
- Setting targets: inputs, outputs, outcomes, impacts
- When things go wrong….!
- Case studies/role play