Who is this course aimed at?
The Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 places on employers a responsibility for ensuring that their employees are fully protected in case of illness or injury by an adequate number of First Aiders. This course is aimed at people who would like to become designated first aiders, or those who are outside the 3 year qualification period. This course is required for companies in higher risk categories or with a large workforce, for further details please contact HGTA. The certificate is valid for three years HGTA held Health & Safety Executive approval until the HSE stopped regulating first aid in October 2013. As recommended by the HSE, HGTA are now a fully approved centre with TQUK – an Ofqual recognised Awarding Organisation.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications to attend this course?
No previous experience or qualifications required.
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to understand the role of the first aider including reference to:
- the importance of preventing cross infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
- injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- chest injuries
- burns and scalds
- eye injuries
- sudden poisoning
- anaphylactic shock
- recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes)
Written and practical throughout the 3 days
Buffet lunch and teas/ coffees provided. Please inform us of any special dietary requirements.
To make a booking please complete the booking form and return to Emma Codd at email@example.com