Who is this course aimed at?
The Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 places on employers a responsibility for ensuring that their employees are fully protected in case of illness or injury by an adequate number of First Aiders. This course is aimed at people who would like to become designated first aiders, or those who are outside the 3 year qualification period. This course is required for companies in lower risk categories, for further details please contact HWGTA. HWGTA held Health & Safety Executive approval until the HSE stopped regulating first aid in October 2013. As recommended by the HSE, HWGTA are now a fully approved centre with TQUK – an Ofqual recognised Awarding Organisation.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications to attend this course?
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to understand the role of the first aider including reference to:
- The importance of preventing cross infection
- The need for recording incidents and actions
- Use of available equipment assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and breathing normally. Use of recovery position
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unresponsive and not breathing normally. Use of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and an automated external defibrillator. We also chose additionally to the syllabus to give the candidates knowledge of how to help someone that may be having a heart attack
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding (catastrophic bleeding is covered where groups have higher risk environments, the use of haemostatic dressings and tourniquets)
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- Provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
Buffet lunch and Teas / coffees provided.
To make a booking please complete the booking form and return to Emma Codd email@example.com