We have a large number of local companies who take on apprentices directly through Herefordshire and Worcestershire Group Training Association (HWGTA). The recruitment process is a series of steps to match you to a suitable job vacancy and training programme.
We would strongly suggest that you attend our annual Open Days which are held in February in both our Hereford and Worcester Sites.
Hereford Site: Tuesday 13th February and Wednesday 21st February 2018
Worcester Site: Thursday 15th February and Tuesday 20th February 2018
This will give you the opportunity to:
- Find out specific details of the programme you are interested in
- Meet current apprentices
- Meet employers who are recruiting for that year (many of our applicants find that they receive invitations to employer interview through attending open days and meeting employer representatives)
- Meet HWGTA staff
- View the training facilities
- Have any questions or concerns answered
Although our main intake runs from March – August – ready for a September start, we do have companies that look to take apprentices on at various times throughout the year. Therefore, we advise ensuring that you get your application form in ASAP to ensure maximum coverage to companies looking to recruit.
Commerce Programme – Business and Administration, Accountancy, Customer Service and Warehousing
Application forms are accepted for our main intake from January onwards for programmes starting between July and September. It may also be possible to start an Apprenticeship at other times in the year, as the programme is not tied to the academic year (with the exception of accountancy).
The recruitment steps are detailed below:
- We receive your completed application form. All applications are acknowledged by letter. You will be invited to Initial Assessment at a convenient date and time.
- You will attend HWGTA for your Initial Assessment. This is a series of tests/assessments that are not designed for you to pass or fail; they simply allow recognition of your strengths and identify any areas for development. The results of all tests are given to you during your interview and shown to prospective employers.
- You will be invited to an interview, which will last about 30 minutes, with one of our members of staff. This will be your chance to find out more about the programme as well as our chance to find out more about you, your interests and any career ambitions you may have.
- All your details will be collated and sent out to companies who have a vacancy for an apprentice that matches your profile. Our Recruitment team are experts in matching candidates to a suitable placement.
- When a company is interested in your details, they will contact you or HWGTA to arrange an interview with you. At this stage it is entirely up to the company who and when they interview. Company interviews usually take place on their premises.
- Our Recruitment staff monitor the details of which employers your information has been sent to, so that we can keep informed about the progress of your application.
- Successful candidates will receive a call, usually via HWGTA and/or the company concerned offering you a placement. This is in addition to written confirmation displaying details about your programme as well as information on salary, benefits, holidays etc. A member of staff is always available for a confidential chat before accepting any offers.
- You will start your new job and training on the date that is agreed between you, your company and HWGTA.
- Please note a place on the Apprenticeship Programme cannot be guaranteed by HWGTA as it is the employer that makes the final decision – therefore, not all applicants may be successful.
HWGTA and the employers we work with still value an application form completed by hand thereby giving the applicant an opportunity to make a great first impression! This traditional approach means we don’t accept or offer a facility for online applications. If you would like to apply for an apprenticeship with HWGTA please download and print the form below, fill it in and post it back to us using one of the following addresses:
HGTA (For placements in Herefordshire)
WGTA (placements in Worcestershire)
If you don’t have printing facilities please call us on 01432 274310 or 01905 729993 and we will send an application form in the post to you.