Herefordshire & Worcestershire Group Training Association (H&WGTA), founded in 1967, is a ‘not for profit’ company owned and controlled by member companies by way of an unremunerated Board of Directors. It was founded on the basis that by working together employers could advance their own training provision better than working in isolation. H&WGTA provides training in engineering, business administration and management and operates from two sites, one in Hereford and one in Worcester.
H&WGTA has come a long way since it was founded by seven local engineering companies with just one member of staff. Now it is a 40-strong member organisation with a customer base of over 600, and is one of the largest providers of apprenticeships and vocational training in the combined counties of Herefordshire and Worcestershire.
The key to this success has been the active involvement of employers in the development of the Association, resulting in training provision that is relevant, progressive and cost effective. The Association was one of the few employer-led organisations to earn ‘Centre of Vocational Excellence’ status – in engineering design, manufacture and maintenance. It is also one of the largest Institute of Leadership and Management NVQ centres in the West Midlands and received an ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted Grade 1 for its Business and Administration provision. All members of staff have been recruited from the sector in which they train, with 40 % of HGTA’s staff operating exclusively on employers’ premises identifying, devising and delivering learning strategies.
To develop and deliver a range of high quality, value for money training and associated services appropriate to the needs of our customers.
To be the most responsive and respected training provider in our area.
Through the delivery of quality training and development we will make a significant contribution to:
- the success of our member companies and other customers
- the personal fulfilment and security of their employees
- local prosperity and well-being
The Association will
- cherish employer involvement in our strategy and operations
- provide an environment for trainees, delegates, visitors and staff that is secure, caring, friendly and purposeful.
- conduct business in a trustworthy and transparent way
- remain committed to widening participation and inclusion
- act in the best interests of the local community